Landshut is not just a stage setting
The old town of Landshut is a broad residential street, which was perhaps originally planned to lead to an Isar crossing. Since the town was founded in 1204 the main street has a slight curve.flanked on both sides with tall residential houses. The homes of merchants and townsfolk,the town is enclosed at each end with portals. About half way down the main street,the parish church of St. Martin was built with its own cemetary. Even before 1300, the old town had its “parallel” in the form of the “New Town, ”and from 1338, the ”Freyung” with its own parish church was added to the town. After a major fire in 1342, the town had to be rebuilt, and a larger more spacious St.Martin was erected.St.Martin was now the prime example of Old Bavarian gothic. So now,with the highest brick built church spire in the world (130.6metres), not only civic pride, but also the pomp and power of the Dukes could be represented inasmuch as they could celebrate important occasions and ceremonies here.
Landshut has then, since it was founded seen coutless comings and goings of pomp and royalty,as well as grand processions such as the famous Corpus Christi procession. All these things then added to Landshut’s fame and respect throughout the land. Indeed, Landshut is considered today as being one of the most attractive towns far and wide.
This beautiful medieval town of course owes much of its originality to the “Landshuter Hochzeit. ”However Landshut was the perfect setting for the spectacle in1475. In 2004 Landshut celebrated its 800th anniversary.
Further information at www.landshut.de